The Roamin’ Trail
How to become a Christian Cowboy
There was a cowboy many years ago that thought he was a doin’ the right thing. This man had a bunch of Jesus’ day workers beat up. He was even there when the very first one was killed for believin’ in Jesus. This fellow went by the name of Saul.
Later, Jesus (after he had gone to heaven) stopped him on a country road and got his attention real quick. He told Saul that he was wrong ’bout a lot of things and Jesus got him straightened out. Jesus even went so far as to change not only the man he was, but also what his name was.
Jesus gave him a new life and a new name.
Paul (formerly Saul) would go on to write much of the New Testament. He told anyone who would listen that gettin’ to heaven was available to anyone who trusted in Jesus and gave their lives to Him. Paul laid out this path to eternal life in the book of Romans. He didn’t make anything up, he just repeated what Jesus and all of the prophets in the Old Testament had been sayin’ for a long time.
If you want to live a life with purpose and meaning that will extend all the way to eternity, all you have to do is follow the “Roamin’ Trail” to salvation.
This trail isn’t about fancy ceremonies or initiation rituals. It’s about how you feel deep inside your guts. Saddle up and take a ride with me now as we travel down the “Roamin’ Trail”.
1. Romans 3:23 – Ain’t none of us innocent. We are all sorry son-of-a-guns.
2. Romans 5:8 – God allowed His Son to be killed for all of us, while we were still sorry-son-of-a-guns, because He loved us that much. It’s about His love, not your mistakes.
3. Romans 6:23 – The consequence of our sorriness is that we will one day die, but death is only the gate that leads to eternity for those who believe in Jesus.
4. Romans 10:9 – We all deserve hell for the things we have done. But if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, believe with your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, and that He took your punishment for you, you will be snatched up before you hit the fires.
5. Romans 10:13 – Just so we get the point, God repeats himself in verse 13 when He says, “EVERY sorry son-of-a-gun who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved!!!!”
6. Romans 5:1 – We are no longer sorry-son-of-a guns and we have peace because we have been made right in God’s eyes through faith in Jesus Christ.
7. Romans 8:1 – No one can condemn those who have Jesus as their boss.
8. Romans 8:38-39 – Nothing can separate us from the love of God. Not life or death, not angels or demons, not the tallest mountain or deepest canyon, not the past, not the present, not the future, not any power, not a single thing in all of creation. This isn’t just a promise, it’s the Gospel Truth.
If you’re still unsure, let’s boil this down a tad just to be sure we understand a few things. Without these things, there is no truth to what you believe.
* Admitting who you are: We are all no good at all.
* Need to be saved: We are guilty of sin. We do deserve punishment. We want to be better. The only one who can save us is Jesus.
* Believe in Jesus: Intellectual belief means nothing. I believe that Julius Caesar was once the emperor of Rome, but that didn’t change my life. You gotta believe with all your heart and soul.
* Have faith: Faith is trustin’ God no matter what the situation or circumstance. Faith in God ensures a home in heaven, not a smooth trot on earth.
If you are ready, you can accomplish all of this by one simple conversation with God. If you feel all this deep inside your soul, allow me to help you with what you might say to Him.
God, I’m a sorry sinner that realizes I cannot save myself, so I need you. I should be punished for what I am and what I have done, but I know that you took all that punishment for me. For this, I am eternally grateful. I am now askin’ forgiveness and I am handin’ you, not just the reins, but the whole bridle of my life. I have absolutely no control now. It’s all up to you. Thank you for everything from the bottom of my heart and soul. I know now that I will meet you in heaven.
Congratulations!! You are now a Christian Cowboy. The next step is to share this wonderful news with the world. Don’t be shy. Shout it from the top of the mountain. You can tell the whole world right now by leaving your name right here.
If we don’t meet in this life, I’ll see you in greener pastures.
Pastor Kevin Weatherby